Saturday, February 14, 2009

Lost southerners in the big city

So we made it here.....When Weston and I saw the NYC skyline on Monday when we arrived we were a little, who am I kidding, very shocked. I knew that the city was close but it was still surprising to see and realize that I will be living less than 10 miles from it. We both knew that we were in for a complete culture shock. I have to admit I was terrified and still am. There is SO much traffic around north Jersey. The roads are kind of confusing and that damn woman on Garmin and her recalculating is a little frustrating!

The first night was the beginning of our adventure. Who knew trying to find a grocery store would be so hard. After all, there are no Piggly Wiggly's up here and I hadn't a clue the name of a northern grocery store.....we gave up finding a grocery store and settled on a convenience store to get what we needed.

The first day of work started off bad. I arrived at the office 10 til 8 and rang the door bell. No one answered. So while I'm standing there panicking and feeling like I was going to puke, I realized I couldn't get into the bathroom because the door has a code on it. I called Mom and she helped me to not turn around and walk back to the hotel, pack my stuff and drive back south. Luckily, I didn't wait long to get in and then everything was fine. All of the people in the office have been really nice and helpful. I have been questioned quite a few times why in the world I would move from NC to NJ. I am still sitting here wondering it myself. Then I try to remember I came up here for the job and the opportunities that would follow along. I didn't come up here because I like the cold or the snow, or the terrible, rude, impatient drivers, or even to experience real city life. But my wonderful friend Erica has made it much better than it ever could be if she wasn't here.

I know my facebook page has sounded down and I'm not going to lie, I'm homesick and it's really hard for me already. It hasn't even been a week!! I miss my dog, my family, my friends, and my comfort. And poor Weston, he's a completely different story. He's great and supportive, and I'm so grateful he's here with me. Things will get easier once we find a place and get our things up here. I don't know if we'll ever adjust to life here as much as we just have to accept it and make it work.

I'm in south Jersey this weekend with Erica, her family, and friends so it'll will be a good time and it'll keep my mind off of other things. I guess I should go take a shower so we can begin our fun times!!

Happy Valentine's Day ya'll!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kerry Boo...I am following you! Sounds like quite an amazing adventure so far! I can't imagine being so close to NYC! Like you said....it will get easier when you get your stuff and find a place to live. No place will ever be like the South you know and love, but I know you will make the absolute best of this opportunity and I am so proud of you for just picking up and doing it!! Can't wait for more posts. Love ya and Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry, I completely know what you are going through. I was very home sick when I moved to Raleigh from St. Louis. I wanted to pack up and leave. I tried to look at the positives and the opportunities that Raleigh had to offer. I am happy to see that you are doing the same. It will get better and things will get easier. I am proud of you as well. I do not think that I could move to the north. Raleigh was scary for me, I could not do a larger city. I also understand you and the Garmin. There is something about New Jersey. It is like the whole system is off. The first time I went there for work, she stated "recalculating, U-turn" more times then I could count. The next visit was a little less and finally I actually made it to the customer's site without her annoying voice. :) Good Luck! Hang in there! Please promise that you will not lose your southern charm that we know and love. :) Love ya! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kerry, you will be fine... it is really hard when you don't yet have all your stuff and a place to live. Coming from someone who has moved to new faraway places three times, trust me, it gets better. I wouldn't like Jersey (or any other place) at all either if I had to live in a hotel and couldn't get into my office! I'm glad even though you are homesick and having a hard time adjusting you are giving it a shot to settle in. It's a new and exciting adventure and it will get less scary. I know having Weston helps, it's much easier to move to a new place with someone you love. Jersey driving is horrible, I had to drive there on my own for work 2 summers back and I was so confused... you can't make left turns anywhere, hopefully you get used to having to make right turns to go left! :-) Hmm, grocery stores, I hope you find one! I'm sure the ones we have in PA aren't even the same as the ones in Jersey, but just in case Giant, Wegmans, Weis are a few... Wegmans are the best...and there are Whole Foods too. In case you continue to be overwhelmed by the big city, know that you have a friend close by in Amish country who you can come visit for a northern place that's a little more like the south than NYC! Take care, it will get better. love ya.

    ReplyDelete